Tuesday, January 28, 2014

SNEZ E-News: 10 Days of Silence

The bearded monk
Hey folks, at the beginning of this year, Stewart and I decided to start the year by clearing our heads, getting some perspective and dealing with our demons, by enrolling in a 10 day silent meditation retreat called Vipassana, only a 5 minute walk from our house in Blackheath. Stewart went first : ) and only just got back a few days with a renewed joy of being able to speak. Vipassana requires virtually total silence, no speaking to anyone, no mobiles, no books, pens or diversions ...just you and your mind for ten days with 12 hours a day of silent meditation, (and a video guidance from a man named Goenka). You wake up at 4.30 am every morning and meditate until about 9 pm - with breaks for brekkie, lunch and a apple for dinner. As I dropped Stewart off in the car park, my only request was to 'Grow a beard'....On arrival back home, (with his beard), Stew said it was the hardest thing he has ever had to do in his life. There was lots of good things as well as not so great things about it, but thats not up for me to say, I'll tell you all about it when I get back.

I go in on Wednesday (tomorrow) and these are my last words for 10 days. I promised Stew that I would grow my armpit hairs in return. It's only fair.

Wish me luck.  Great fodder for songs eitherway.

Snez x

No comments:

Post a Comment