Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Gypsy soul tour diary - Home at last

BACK HOME
We’re back home. What an adventure we’ve had. Although it was an fantastic experience it’s always nice to come home to your own bed and toilet : ) What have Stew and I learnt on this tour? Well...I’ll try and make a long story short.

I wouldn’t trade the experience I’ve had playing at all those regional and remote area pub gigs. They’ve taught me how to speak to some of the toughest crowds, how to catch their attention even if it’s just for a second. They clap if you sang a good song and if they don’t clap it means that you need to work on the song a bit more. If I speak frankly and honestly I can tell you that out of the 30 gigs we did in those couple of months; 8 of them were successful ‘Snez gigs’. Those eight were
comprised of house concerts, small unconventional cafes, markets and concert situations. It’s clear to me, this is where I fit.

Some of the pub gigs were really just ’Petrol Money’, after a while they hurt your musical soul.
Playing in a venue; performing songs that are really important to me and then having people talk all over that is heart-breaking. I questioned so many times - ’What can I do to get these people’s attention?’. I tried lots of tricks and ideas, I performed my heart out, but at some gigs, at the end of the day, they want to hear ’Khe San’. That’s okay : ) There’s a band out there that’s dying to feed that audience, but unfortunately, I’m not one of them.

I realised quick smart that the place I sold the most CD’s, touched hearts and felt on top of the world was sitting in front of a group of 20 people in a small cafĂ©; telling stories and jokes and making people feel so comfortable that they would actually dance to one of my songs. That’s special and that’s what I want and will work towards on any future tours.

The trip Stew and I took, holds so many memories and so many colours. We met many colourful
personalities and saw so many beautiful sunsets and starry nights. This trip really inspired us in a creative way - Visually and musically. We just couldn’t wait to get back home and put some of these ideas down.

We’ve been home for 2 days now. Adjusting and enjoying our luxuries, although it would be nice to get rid of some clutter around the house. I’ve already painted 3 paintings like a mad woman, belted the hell out of my guitar and planted some tomatoes in the garden. Both Stew and I have got songs starting to brew from the wonderful experience we’ve been through.

THANK YOU
Stew and I would love to thank everyone who followed our blog throughout our journey. I really enjoyed writing it. If you didn’t get a chance to read some of the stories go to www.snezmusic.blogspot.com. Lot’s of pics and anecdotes. Through out the next couple of weeks I’ll be posting some video’s and recordings from ABC radio, so keep your ears peeled : )

XXX

No comments:

Post a Comment